Investigating the Wavelength of Light and Its Effects on the Performance of a Solar Photovoltaic Module
Ogherohwo E.P. , Barnabas .B.
In this study, an attempt was made to investigate the wavelengths of light and its effects on the performance of solar photovoltaic module. A case study was conducted to experimentally verify the effect of various colour filters (polythene) on the performance of solar photovoltaic module. Based on the temperature of the cell, solar irradiance and photonic theory, the efficiency and power output of the PV system have been evaluated. An analytical model based on physical parameters was also developed to evaluate the efficiency of solar panel. The results show that the Present day PV technology is influenced by the red color of light. In other words, visible portion of the solar spectrum influences the performance of the solar panel then the infra-red light.
investigation, wavelength, effects, performance, solar photovoltaic module.
1. G.N. Tiwari, Solar energy fundamentals, design, modeling and applications, Alpha Science, Pangbourne, 2002.
2. H. Qasem, T.R. Betts and R. Gottschalg, “Spatially-Resolved Modelling of Dust Effect on Cadmium Telluride Photovoltaic Modules,” Solar Energy, 2013.
3. Kribus, A. (2002). A high-efficiency triple cycle for solar power generation Solar, 72 (1), 1-11.
4. M.A. Green, Photovoltaic physics and devices, in Gordon, J.M. (ed.) Solar energy: the state of the art: ISES position papers / edited by Jeffery Gordon, International Solar Energy Society,London, 2005, 291-356.
5. Website “2010.igem.org/Team
6. Historical Data Workbook (2013)
7.Wikipedia (2014) "Wind power forecasting", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_forecasting. Retrieved on 13th November, 2014.
8. Worldwatch Institute (2012). "Use and Capacity of Global Hydropower Increases"
[Ogherohwo E.P., Barnabas .B. (2015), Investigating the Wavelength of Light and Its Effects on the Performance of a Solar Photovoltaic Module, International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer Science & Technology (IJIRCST), Vol-3, Issue-4, Page No-61-65], (ISSN 2347 - 5552). www.ijircst.org
Senior Lecturer, Department of Physics, University of Jos, Jos plateau State Nigeria.